Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Happy # 26!



Twenty-six years ago today I married my darlin' Tadd. Smilng because I'd do it again in a *heartbeat*! I am so very grateful for and deeply blessed by his presence in my life.

Still strolling down memory lane over here...

Our plan all along was to marry on June 18 (and not 3 days after my birthday).

But.

Early that spring, some serious health issues with my leg were discovered and we knew a couple of major surgeries were on the horizon. In my heart of hearts, I really wanted and longed to be married to my Taddbert *before* walking thru all of that and my precious hubby graciously agreed (he was already in it with me "in sickness and in health.").

So, with not much more than a month's notice (if that?), we moved up our wedding to May 21, 1988. We had a lovely, very happy day surrounded by family and friends. Grinning because maybe you can see that in the photo above? It was taken by a dear family friend and I love both the joy and relief he was able to capture on our newlywed faces.

Three weeks after we were married, I was checked into the hospital. What we hoped would "simply" be a two-step "do-over" of the last surgery I'd had several years back (and was failing) turned into *many* surgeries due to a *huge* infection, 3 months in the hospital and, because most of my femur has now been removed, sealed the deal on my crutches being permanent. Having Tadd by my side through the whole ordeal was the very best medicine for my weary heart and body, hands down.

Of course, like all marriages, we certainly have our ups and downs. While I don't remember the wise, elderly man's name or face, I do remember him sitting by my hospital bed while we were in the midst of that horribly trying time and telling us that events like that early on in a marriage can strengthen the bond. And, gratefully, as I so hoped it might, that journey did strengthen ours. I'd like to quietly add that I am also deeply aware that things like that can also test a relationship past it's breaking point. Knowing this in my bones helps me to appreciate our union even more.

In honor of our 25th anniversary, the photo below was taken by my first baby sister last June at my second baby sister's wedding.



.          *          .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)