Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dancing with Hope in 2014


Hope, my word for 2014,
was a bit of a surprise.

Because of some things
that happened a long, 
lo-o-o-o-o-ong 
time ago,
Hope has 
never 
been an easy word 
for me.

Or, 
to be quite honest,
one I had much use for,
especially in my teens. 

I sense her companionship
in the coming year might just be
an invitation to heal
in some deeply meaningful ways.

I am willing and feeling ready.

Smiling softly because Hope began
gently knocking 
on the door to my heart,
asking for this dance,
around Thanksgiving
and we are settling in nicely.

When thinking of song lyrics, 
as encouraged in our 
One Little Word project,
the song, 
by LeeAnn Womack 
one that I love so much 
was the first one 
that came to my heart.

And then I remembered the selfie above
from last summer.

Uneven legs 
are a quiet, 
constant 
reminder 
of my 36-year old cancer journey
(a large part of my 
keeping Hope at arm's length).

Several years ago,
a kind friend called my left 
a "dancer's leg."

This fond image seemed perfect
to begin my dance with
Hope.

As I played with the picture
I smiled at thought of me 
dancing in the arena 
of my life.

And
I want to do so,
as best I can in each moment,
while daring greatly.

.     *     .

Adding an afterthought . . . 
The thing I miss 
the very most
about being permanently on crutches

(to the point of *aching* at times)

is dancing 
the Texas-Two Step and Waltzes.

So
it's a very real blessing
to be able to 
tenderly, 
intentionally
reclaim 
the gift of dance
in some small way.


4 comments:

  1. Debbie, your photo is lovely! Did you know it looks like the start of the yoga tree pose? When we do it in class we are told to stand tall and strong. Rooted and balanced. Hope is a wonderful word.
    ~Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Marilee... I didn't know that! Thank you *so* much for sharing with me about the yoga pose. Thank you, too, for stopping by and letting me know you were here. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is such an inspiration. I am so looking forward to hearing about your journey of hope this year as you reclaim the dance of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Christina. It will be lovely to have you along on this dance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)