Sunday, August 2, 2015

Gratitude for Bridges and Honoring Crossings


I drew this picture featuring a poem I wrote two years ago, not long after a painful (and very right) decision.  The imagery of a bridge had just come to me and was an especially powerful and so incredibly helpful metaphor (a lifeline, really) for me at the time.

As I thought about them and what they might mean, bridges spoke to me of Hope, which I was in desperate need of.  Right as I was leaving something behind that was no longer working for me, I deeply resonated with the idea of leaving where I had been to cross over a bridge into a new place in my life.  While circled in grief and fear, and feeling very alone, the other side was calling out to me with promises of refreshment and new growth.  Alls I had to do was to step onto the bridge.  At first my steps were heavy and awkward and slow.  But, with practice, patience, and persistence, they became more steady and sure.

With time, as happens in life, it felt right to turn the page in my art journal and continue on in other areas of my life, too.

A few days ago the timing felt right to take a moment to turn back to my picture and sit with it, basking in and honoring my journey of the past two years.  I took this photo including my feet and crutches on Friday morning as a way to acknowledge Grace and Peace, and the few kind angels (human and spirit) lighting the way ... my way .... across the bridge.

Smiling softly because as I take the time to remember and honor my pilgrimage today, I am also intentionally and ever-so-gently reaching back to that battle-weary, grief-stricken, and fear-soaked woman I was.  As I do so, I am tenderly whispering in her ear, "yes, dear-heart, leaving was exactly the next right thing and I'm here to let you know that you will survive what felt so unfathomable and very brave (because it was) at the time.  Promise."  

(hmmmm.... tears)

Yes.
  
After taking a few pictures like this one, I wondered if it wouldn't speak to me more if I was standing on the other side of the bridge so I turned my art journal around and snapped a few more photos.  In the end, it just didn't feel right.

And now I know why.

With my photo framed the way it is here, I see (and feel!) very clearly the me of today standing firmly behind and supporting the struggling me of then.  This picture speaks to me on so many levels of my taking my place among the angels and wise souls that were there for me during An. Excruciatingly. Difficult. time.

(I love that about faith and mystery .... 
it isn't tied to chronological time at all!)

Smiling softly because it also reminds me of how, more and more, the little girl who still lives inside my heart is able to lean back on the me of today in complete trust.

Yes. 

This is exactly the way my photo is meant to be.

It's such a gift to take some time today to bask in gratitude 
for how far I've come and honor where I am now.  
 I am thankful for your witness. 
(and kind words are always welcome)

❤️

Before closing I'd like to add that, once again, I am so, So, *SO* very grateful for the encouragement and role modeling to practice seeing and loving myself thru selfies!!!  Gracious, who *knew* what a difference that could make!!

 .              *              .


2 comments:

  1. so wonderful. the thing that struck me the most was the beauty of the little girl being able to lean on and trust the now you - it feels like the kind of completion, actualization that we all reach for and a true peace - to be able to find compassion for oneself, to be a comfort and true friend to one's own self. I deeply appreciate this concept. I feel like I am almost there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Catherine, and grateful you understand. Smiling softly because it's definitely a work-in-process for me and I'm so thankful for a moment of clarity along the way.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)