Friday, August 25, 2017

An Anniversary and Two Letters

Today marks my 13th anniversary of working at my company. (Brady Ware is the 
one that acquired us on January 1). 

Something I'm not sharing more publicly just yet is that today is also the day that 
I turned in my resignation. 

The company is moving our location to a new area on Sept 16 that, turns out, is just 
too far for me to drive. 

In fact, it was our managing partner, Teresa, who kindly took a few moments three 
weeks ago to pull me aside and say "the closer we get to our move date, the more 
and more concerned I'm getting about you." She's dreading the drive herself and also 
knows that, with my being permanently on crutches, I can feel pretty vulnerable 
(and anxious) behind the wheel and I that do my best to avoid heavy traffic. 

At her suggestion, hubby and I drove up there and it took *45 minutes* one way on 
a Sunday afternoon so that's without Atlanta traffic. 

Just that realization alone 
knocked the wind out of me. 

While it took me a couple more weeks to come to peace with it, I had a sense then 
that I'd need to let go. Before I did that, just like Jacob wrestled with the angel until 
he received his blessing (and walked away with a limp to remind him of the struggle), 
I asked all the questions I could possibly think of that would allow me to stay. Could 
I work 2 or even 3 days from home? (We were all issued laptops so it wasn't too far 
fetched). Could I be trained to do something else? Teresa was willing to consider all 
of my questions and even discreetly brought in a gentleman from the home office. 
In the end, it just wasn't going to work and I do understand and appreciate their 
reasons.

So today my supervisor and I traded letters. I gave her my sincere and honoring letter 
of resignation and she gave me a very kind letter of recommendation from Teresa. In 
fact, tears pricked as I read her glowing last review of me and my work.

I feel sad and I really, Really don't want to job hunt. 
I am also feeling a deep sense of peace about it all. 

So there we be ... 

Please know, kind friend, 
that I'm grateful for your witness. 
(Again)

❤️

.          *          .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)