Friday, August 8, 2014

Poetry Challenge

I've dabbled a little bit in poetry and have enjoyed it every time.  Curious if I could find any, I googled "poetry prompts" yesterday and found a lovely list of "30 Prompts for National Poetry Month" here.  

The first one is:  Grab the closest book. Go to page 29. Write down 10 words that catch your eye. Use 7 of words in a poem. For extra credit, have 4 of them appear at the end of a line.

The closet book is one I'm slowly working my way thru (and would recommend), Palmer Parker's, Healing the Heart of Democracy.  Here's the poem I came up with.


Unspoken confessions
buried deep within,
accidental cradle
of memories and skin

Ancient, hopeless thirst
yearns for relief,
wherever on earth
did I get so much grief?

Unquestioned lives
cannot educate,
but spiritual seeking,
in time, emancipates

No need to do it alone
for help comes in many forms,
friends, mentors, and family,
welcomed shelter in the storms

.          *          .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)