Monday, May 2, 2016

Being Seen :: Tears

I took this photo this morning before I got up to get in the shower. I had just written a note to
myself of all of my fears and then, as invited in our Being Seen e-course, I folded it up so that
all of my fears were tucked inside.  As Brene Brown has taught me to do, I then wrote a 
permission slip on a blue post-it note, taped it to the top of my fears and held it to my heart 
along with a sweet little red heart that was close by.

When I was in daily mass a short while later, a ritual that comforts, blesses, and soothes me, 
and on my way to communion, I accidentally tripped and fell back onto the chair behind me. 
I am permanently on crutches and pretty solid on them so it was startling for me, and three 
women from three different directions rushed to me to see if I was ok.

While grateful for their concern to be sure, I felt embarrassed and also annoyed and frustrated 
with myself. One kind-hearted woman sensed my discomfort and warmly shrugged it off with 
a "it just happens sometimes" which was such a gift.

Returning from communion and sitting in my seat, I was surprised to have tears well. I reminded myself that this was a safe space and there was at least 10 minutes before mass was over so 
it was ok to let them fall. (hmmm.... tears well as I type). I think if I had been alone, I might've 
sobbed (we are headed to Texas for a short visit with my family later this week and work has 
been so tough for four months now with a new supervisor.  The transition simply isn't going
well for me). 

I had planned some errands after mass but was still pretty shaken up so I came on home and 
laid down. Afterwards, I looked at this picture and was surprised to see that in reality? 

The tears were already right there . . .

. . . here.

.              *               .



2 comments:

  1. Debbie, I fell on the beach the other day. First, dropped my phone/camera in the water. So, while I was inspecting it to see if there was water inside, I wasn't looking where I was going and tripped over driftwood. Bam! Right on my face. There was only one other person on the beach with me, my significant other, and yet I was still so embarrassed. I COMPLETELY understand about the tears already being right there. I can feel myself being fragile like that sometimes. The smallest thing brings the tears out. It is one of the drawbacks of being an emotions-just-below-the-surface person. Luckily, we have meditations and small, personal rituals to carry us back to serenity.

    I love your posts. You are very open and vulnerable, and that is a brave thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie, it's so lovely to find you here and such a gift to read your kind words. You do understand, don't you? Thank you for letting me know. ❤️

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)