Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Guide to True Hope


The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
~ William A. Ward

This new-to-me quote was shared on Facebook this morning.  It resonates deeply, I'm sure in large part because I grew up in the every. single. day. winds of the Texas Panhandle.  Coming off the Rockies with nothing to break or stop them, the winds were strong and often felt oppressive.  So I *know* from the tips of my toes how constantly relentless the wind can be and also how it feels to fight (and hate) it.  Smiling softly because when it's windy here in Georgia, I will often emphatically say to anyone who will listen, "I do Not miss the wind."

The quote above feels like a practical guide map, helping me to navigate *how* to find and trust in True Hope.  I must simply (not necessarily easily) practice basing my responses on what I feel, sense, and know ~ the truth as she shows herself to me in this moment.

While they, too, can be informative, I want to use care with complaining and expectations as navigational tools because they can lead me on the path to false hopes.

.     *     .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)