Sunday, January 25, 2015

Thoughts About Peace


 
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; 
only light can do that. 
Hate cannot drive out hate; 
only love can do that." 
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've long held that if I can't practice peace in my own every day life and dealings with others, how on earth can I hope, much less expect, to find peace in our world?  Smiling softly as I deeply acknowledge that some days, months, and years (and situations) are better (and easier) than others.  The truth of this, in a down-to-earth, everyday sort of way, really came home for me when I was a member of a rich and vibrant online community with members from all over the world.

With my word for this year being Peace, I've been intentionally looking for role-models of practicers of non-violence.  As I seem to be leveling up in the video game of life, it helps so much to know there are others, while not easy for them either, who have been able to do it in much more difficult and challenging circumstances than my own.

I've been drawn to Martin Luther King, Jr this year in a way I just haven't been in the past.  When the student is ready the teacher appears?

I especially like knowing that he lived not far from where I do today.

.         *          .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)