Friday, February 5, 2016

Cultivating Enough :: Day 5 :: Movement

My trusty crutch companions, Bert and Ernie, are permanent so  always close at hand whenever 
the hankering to move strikes. 

The blue rocker recliner is Tadd's granddaddy's 40-year old brown Laz-y-Boy, spiffed up last 
Fall with both a new cover and spring under the seat. 

Hands down, the most soothing kind of movement for me is rocking whether it be a rocking 
chair or a porch swing. 

(But you already knew that, yes?)

A little bit more about my crutches:

I named my crutches a lo-o-o-o-o-ng time ago when the first of our 29 nieces and nephews
were small. Never wanting my crutches to feel intimidating to little ones, naming them after 
a couple of Sesame Street characters that our (and most other) kiddies knew seemed just right.

Our nieces and nephews all know they can play with my crutches anytime they want as long 
as they bring them to me when I need them, which they always do right away. It brings me so 
much pleasure when we go back for our annual visit to watch them discover with so much 
delight how much they've grown since our last visit and how much better they can use them.

As an aside, when 3 of our nieces drew a picture of all of the members of our family, they remembered to include my constant companions, Bert and Ernie. For me that was so very endearing.... 

A little bit more about why my crutches are permanent:

Folks either not knowing about or remembering my crutches is actually one of the best 
compliments someone can pay me.... I *so* don't want my crutches to be the first (and last) 
thing folks know/remember about me.

I am a 38-year bone cancer survivor (left hip). While I've never had a recurrence (so grateful!), 
I've had problems with BIG TIME infections. During the last one, almost 28 years ago, I was 
in the hospital for 3 months, just three short weeks after marrying my dear hubby, and all this 
was 8 months after we moved here, away from my entire family.

Because we couldn't get the infection cleared up, they started removing stuff... too far gone 
tissue and the hardware that held the cadaver bone to what little I had left of my left femur 
from the prior big bad infection (it was hoped that my bone would grow up into the cadaver 
bone but that didn't work out so they removed it as well) so my crutch companions are here 
to stay. 

And for the most part, she says with a twinkle, as traveling companions go, we get along 
quite well. <wink>

.            *            .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)