Sunday, June 5, 2016

Everyday Beauty :: Something in My Hand

There's something very healing for me about taking an almost daily, "everyday" type photo.
I'm finding that it gently affirms for me that it really is ok to show up in my own life, notice 
the goodness and beauty that is there, and, when it feels right, to share my picture. To my 
delight, this is becoming a welcomed, gentle practice encouraging and reminding me to name 
my place and claim my (rightful) space on this beautiful earth of ours that we all (((share))).

I've invited my goddaughters to join me in revisiting some photo prompts from last year and yesterday's invitation was "Something in your hand." In response, I shared this photo with 
the caption:

"Something in my hand (and in the background 
are my crutches, things that are in my hands a lot)."

As I continued to sit with my Grace (<-- my fond nickname for my Higher Power) mug filled 
with warm, soothing chai tea, I remembered something that I so loved in Brene Brown's Self-Compassion course with Kristin Neff.

First, we did a review of the oldest part of our brain, our amygdala or reptilian brain, which, 
when triggered, automatically throws us into Fight, Flight or Freeze mode. They talked about 
how this part of our brain is the easiest to trigger and how it sees our self-criticism as a threat 
to our self-concept. (!!!) While self-criticism is actually a misguided (and unhelpful) attempt to protect us - it wants us to do good but beats us up as a way to try to help - our brain sees our 
self-criticism as an attack and tries to protect us from it(us) using Fight, Flee or Freeze!!

(wow.) 

I'd never thought about how self-criticism could be one of my (old) brain's way of Fight-ing 
what it sees as a problem - "You're doing that all wrong and people won't like you!! You better 
shape up *now*!!" It's simply my reptilian brain, or what I've come to see as the voice of the 
little girl who still lives inside my heart (so I want to use great care in how I refer to this part of 
my brain because she's simply doing the best she can and wants to help me, too) trying to keep 
me safe. Her methods aren't real effective, but still very well intentioned from her very young 
stance.

Pausing here for a moment to place my hand over my heart, close my eyes, and take in a deep 
breath. I want to honor for myself that this is very valuable and crucial info in my continued 
healing of the expectations (both inner and outer) placed on my young girl self to caretake my 
family at a very young (way too young) age.

They then talked about how we also have a Mammalian brain and, because mammal's babies 
are born helpless and need their mother's care for for a very long time, this part of our brain's automatic responses are Tend and Befriend.

Yay!!!!! :)

I *love* this so much and find so much Hope in it.

I had a Psychology professor who used to say All. The. Time. "When the emotions are high, 
the brain doesn't work." He'd always follow it with something like "we have to wait for our 
emotions to come back down before we can access our brain again."

While it felt deeply wise at the time, I didn't fully understand what he was trying to convey. I 
realize now that this fits in perfectly with what Brene and Kristin were talking about. When we 
are being taken over by our emotions and/or lost in our storyline (so when our reptilian brain is 
front and center), we *can't* access the wise part of our brain until we can find a little space 
from the Fight, Flight or Freeze response.
Yes.

And
so I'm not broken.

Here's the wonderful news: Kristin said there are ways that we *can* access our Mammalian 
system even when our sweet mind can't and/or isn't ready go there (and boy-oh-boy, do I know 
this one!).

Yay!!!!

Three things that "trigger" our Tend and Befriend responses are:

1. Physical warmth
    The example was given that a warm compress is more soothing than a cold one.

2. Gentle Touch 
    Kristin said not to underestimate the power of touch 

3. Soothing Vocalization 
    She said "tone is everything!" and also that the *universal* vocalization, 
    meaning across cultures, for compassion is "awwww." (!!!)

So, if we are stuck in strong emotion and/or our head's storyline, doing one or all 3 of these 
can help call our mammalian brain back online.

I'm sharing all of this, first because I love it *So. Much* (can ya tell?, she asks with a playful, 
twinkly grin).

And also because, while I always knew that holding a warm beverage was soothing (and the 
shape of the mug matters a lot for me!), after posting my photo yesterday morning, it occurred 
to me that holding and drinking a warm cup of tea is really about Tending and Befriending 
myself and practicing self-compassion thru warmth and gentle touch, all while taking exquisite 
self-care.

So is putting my hand over my heart. As an aside, one of the exercises they had us do was to 
close our eyes and spend some time trying out different comforting gestures to find what is 
most soothing for us because the same one won't work for everyone.

And so is taking 5 (or more!) deep breaths!

Isn't all of this about trying to make a little space while also Tending and Befriending?

Yes.

Smiling softly, fondly, warmly, thinking of that story of the tribe that encircles members that 
have lost their way and are acting out and the community bring them back home to themselves 
by singing their song to them. So rather than ditch or throw away a part of themselves, they 
love them back home.

Yes. 


.             *             .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)