Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blessing Basking ~ Day 19

Hoping you won't mind a little story before I share today's gratitude. Smiling softly because this one really is about basking in a tremendous blessing . . .

I was shopping this morning and an elderly gentleman struck up a conversation with me in the canned foods aisle. He said he hoped I wouldn't have to be driving the motorized carts for much longer, that there was a time that he had been driving them but had recovered from his spinal surgery.

I told him that I am a 36-year bone cancer survivor and that most of my left femur had been removed, making that leg about 8" shorter which is why I am on crutches. And, as I usually do, I added with a twinkle that, considering the alternative, I would take crutches.

He told me that his first wife had died from cancer and I said that I was sorry for his loss. While he seems to have come to some peace about it, I sensed he still misses her (do we ever fully recover from a loss of a love?). We chatted a while longer and parted shortly after that.

Later, I didn't realize he was behind me in the check-out line until he walked up to me, touched me on the shoulder and said "you know, folks donate their bones when they die, too." He then told me that his son had died in a car wreck and they had donated his organs. When asked about donating his son's bones as well he said the family just couldn't bring themselves to do that, too.

I was so touched by his kindness in reaching out to me and my heart still aches that he's had so much tragedy in his life. Saying no (Enough) to giving his son's bones as well as his organs, feels very understandable to me.

I lovingly looked at him and said thank you, I've had some major problems with big time infections and so I'm done (with surgery). He smiled knowingly as he patted me on the shoulder and said "good for you," and then walked back to his place in line.

He was still on my mind as I collected my crutches from customer service and put my shopping bags in my trunk. As I was driving away I smiled softly and tears welled because it dawned on me (I had a spiritual awakening), that I have been on the receiving end of what must be an extremely courageous and terribly heartbreaking thing for a family to do.

And, at the same time, what an honorable, dignified and amazing way for a family to allow their dearly beloved to leave a legacy . . .

Back in 1984, what I've always called a "cadaver" bone (because that's what my doctors called it) was inserted into my leg. It was hoped that my bone would grow up into it. I was able to use it for 4 years before another very bad infection made it so that it had to be removed from me (too).

It brings tears to think about what a gift that person and their family gave to me by donating his or her femur. 

What a holy and sacred thing to do . . .

. . . what a holy and sacred gift to give

. . . what a holy and sacred gift to receive.

Truly, I am deeply, richly blessed by their generosity and I am very,

*very*

thankful.

<3
(This is me trustin' that simply showing up is Enough)

.     *     .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)