Sunday, July 13, 2014

Happy Birthday Grandma!


Thinking fondly of my Grandma on her birthday today and remembering her oh-so-delicious homemade pizza! Smiling because I have fond memories of one time in particular that I spent the night with her. We got up early the next morning, shopped for ingredients, and then she and I spent the day making her yummy pizza. The rest of our family came over that evening to enjoy the feast!

She enjoyed making stuffed animals from fake fur fabric for her grandkids and they weren't your regular run-of-the-mill animals.  She made me a couple of penguins! They slept with me every night as a child. She later made a patchwork pillow for me from some of the scraps and I still sleep with it every night. Smiling softly because it (and her love) still supports my left leg, which needs a little extra help at night, just right.

This picture is of Grandma and all of her grandkids ~ so far! ~ on the afternoon of Grandpa's funeral.  He died suddenly 35 years ago on August 1, 1979.  I so treasure how happy she looks in this one, surrounded by us and our love.

I posted this photo on Facebook and was delighted how my aunt, sibs and cousins added comments, filling in memories and adding pieces.  As I read, it reminded me of one of the patchwork quilts Grandma made for all of her grandkids, too.  

Smiling softly, remembering how when a story was told that happened before one of my little sisters were born and they, quite naturally, would ask, "where was I?" Moma would tenderly smile and say, "you were in God's pocket!" It was so lovely to be able to share that as well on my FB "thread" today, assuring those grandkids who weren't around just yet, this is their history, too. It just happened at a time when they were in God's pocket.

Have a wonderful day, Grandma! I love you!

(Moma, too!)
 

.          *          .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)