Sunday, December 21, 2014

Practicing Peace



I'm grateful for a few more quiet moments with Mary on her donkey this morning. 

Another "pillar" in Tadd's church has died (Virgil was in his 90's and had a long battle with Alzheimers) so this afternoon we'll be going to his visitation and his funeral is tomorrow.

We never did get decorated for Christmas and we're both feeling disappointed and a little sad. Tadd *loves* to decorate the outside of our house! So much so that we won the neighborhood decorating contest a few years back. (We have *a lot* of lights!! ) I'm sad to say this is about the third time in the last five years that we haven't decorated.

But, mostly? I feel relieved - my dear, sweet hubby fell from a ladder while decorating and broke his back 10 years ago so any time he's up on the ladder is a bit anxious for both of us. Those (millions of?) boxes are up *high* (like 10') and *heavy* so I don't really want him up there, especially because, for now, by himself my darlin' is at the weight limit for our ladder.

I was unexpectedly delighted at how much I enjoyed last night's live nativity put on by Tadd's church. It was cold and damp (for us) so I debated on going. Knowing our little ones would be there was just the nudge I needed and I know it meant a lot to Tadd to have all of us there. It was really quite lovely . . . and I was tickled by the photos I got with my iPhone.

Peace has snuggled up here next to me as my word for 2015 and already she's been good company. 

What I know to be true about me is that anxiety *is* a part of my wiring... period. While I'm not looking to practice peace at any price (denial), I'm very interested in finding and practicing peace, most especially in the midst of anxiety. I want to really focus on deepening my practice of remembering to take really good and gentle care of me, especially when an anxiety storm is brewing. 

Ah, so in borrowing from our Buddhist brothers and sisters, I'm feeling an invitation to to practice a deeper hospitality with myself, especially when feeling anxious.



.         *          .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)