Sunday, April 13, 2014

Angel Sunday ~ One Day at a Time


I pulled this little dear out recently so she could gently remind me to take things one day at a time.  She's been with me a long while, dating back to when I was going to Al-Anon on a regular basis.

After my Moma died 17 years ago, I no longer wanted my relationship with her to be defined by her alcoholism so I stopped attending meetings.  Well, that, and the program just didn't fit well for me anymore and I knew I needed a fresh perspective.

I truly do understand and appreciate why they need a "singularity of purpose," focusing only on their literature and principles.  Having too many sources, sometimes very conflicting ones, would simply cloud and confuse things for members, especially newcomers, who often so desperately need those safe spaces and unwavering guidelines.

I remain grateful for my time in those rooms, my very dear sponsors, and for all I learned there which I still carry with me.

In time, what I found to be true for me is that I needed more and the freedom to explore the many other wonderful avenues where Grace and my heart were leading me.  Smiling softly because it felt really right for me to follow my heart seven years ago by leaving (the) home (of Al-Anon) at 18 years  "old" (of being a member), something I never really did (yet) with my childhood home.

And, now, as we are planning a visit to see my family in Texas next month and the feelings and anxiety are beginning to arise?  This sweet angel's company and wise reminder are most welcome company.

She is quietly reminding me to practice Grace, Mercy, Enough, and Hope.

.           *           .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)