Saturday, April 19, 2014

Poetry and Small Stones

Poetry isn't something I was ever really drawn to... nor was I really very sure I understood it.  Grinning because I'm still not sure I understand it....

For many years now I've been invited to practice Lectio Divina with care-filledly selected poems by a woman I trust who leads our book groups here.  I've been pleasantly surprised and deeply touched by looking for a word or phrase that "shimmers" for me and following it's trail for a little while. (How is this word or phrase speaking to me and my life right now?)

Sometimes I really like playing with writing by removing all of the small words that, turns out, aren't so necessary after all (and, but, if, etc). For me, it's a practice in taking my thoughts and feelings down to the barest minimum ~ which can lead to greater clarity. 


And because I'm intentionally using less words, the ones I do use are selected with great care and intention. For me, there's something really sacred about this creative process.

*And* it's poetry!

I learned about writing small stones, a practice developed by a very dear and gentle Buddhist couple, Satya and Kaspa. Writing small stones has helped me to practice what I think poetry is really all about ... noticing and then writing it down.

.          *          .

2 comments:

  1. Love your thoughts on this and what poetry mean's to you Debbie...echo's my own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by dear, Fran, and for your kind comment. Love knowing that we have yet another area in common. Love you, too. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)