Saturday, November 11, 2017

Remembrance - Day 6 of 40

Dr. Cannon was a wise psychology professor and I felt very blessed to be included under
his wing, a place usually reserved for divorced women starting their lives over and looking
to support themselves and their children.

He had so many gems of wisdom that he shared over and over in class (so we'd remember)
and, to this day I often quote him.  He also saved me (and others) a lot of heartbreak by
walking me out of my very last exam under him, put his arm around me and gently said
he didn't think I was cut out for the front lines.  It was very hard to hear this from him...
what else would I do with my life?  But what I also knew in my bones is that he deeply
cared for me and if this crusty curmudgeon was telling me this in such a tender way?
I needed to listen. 

And, in time, I came to know he was very right.    

When I was creating my list of 40's, I originally had planned to put him on a blue slip
of paper but then I got to wondering if perhaps he'd already passed.  In doing a bit of 
googling I found his obituary here.  Rest in Peace, Dr. Cannon!

.     .     .     .     .

Bill iss a kind soul who was very supportive of me not long after my parents divorced.
I'm not sure how we got connected really, other than being in the same parish.  He has 
a wonderful hearty laugh and helped me to reason things out a few times, even going to
bat for me once when I'd hit a car in a parking lot.  

I love that we've exchanged Christmas greetings all these years.  Although, she says with
a sad smile, his health has been deteriorating and he made a note in last year's card that
it may be the last one he sends.  I send him my love and prayers.

.     .     .     .     .

At first I felt confused when "Engage" came up with these two men but then I looked
it up in my guidebook.  "Engagement means making an active connection with 
someone or something.  Accepting the invitation."  Ah, yes.... I see it, angels.  Both of
these fellas kindly accepted the invitation to be gentle guides in my life.

Blessed be.

💜  .  ðŸ’›  .  ðŸ’œ

.          *           .
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)