Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Remembrance - Day 9 of 40

Today I shall be remembering Moma's daddy, a man with a true gift for music that I wish 
I had known better. I do so find Joy in singing, as did Moma, so it warms my heart 
knowing that he had a part in that Gift passed down thru her. 

.   .   .   .   .

I've long wished that I remembered this very dear woman's name. I didn't get her often 
during the 3 long, lonely months spent in the hospital here, 3 weeks after Tadd and I 
married, and just 8 short months after we'd moved to a whole new-to-me land, far away 
from all my family and friends.

But the days when I did? 

Her kind presence *deeply* soothed my weary and broken spirit. Unlike the usual tech 
who roughly bustled about in a very business-as-usual fashion (it must be quite the 
uncomfortably vulnerable task to be asked to wash patients' bodies day in and day out), 
this precious, elderly angel patiently hummed hymns as she gently bathed my body. I 
didn't realize it until just now... unlike most of the doctors who came into my room 
every day (it was a teaching hospital and I was a very rare case so there were a lot!), it 
felt like she had all of the time in the world for me with not a drop of desire to be 
anywhere else but there with me. I simply can't put into words what a true gift that was 
during one of the most excruciating and lonely times in my life.

See there? Remembering her tender loving care this morning still brings tears filled 
with profound gratitude.

There's not a doubt in my mind that she was "God with Skin" for me during that 
agonizing time, a softly sweet spirit sent to help shore up the bereft child inside my 
heart who felt so very lost, broken and alone.

Ah, yes. 

Grace indeed. 💙

(Smiling softly as I chose my mug 
before I drew this morning's names)

.   .   .   .   .

Adding a postscript... I'm only sharing all of my photos and stories here on my blog.  
My main concern is it would feel like too much pressure plus I don't want to lose my 
focus by getting too caught up in the "performance" of my intentional remembrance 
pilgrimage, if that makes sense.

Still, she adds with a soft smile, some stories feel like they are meant to be named and 
honored in a special way. Like this one. 

And I'm so glad I did!  The comments I received helped to deepen my gratitude for this
very kind woman and our time together so long ago.  One friend reminded me that she 
would have wanted to help ease my spirit and it was a blessing to her to try to do just 
that by softly humming while gently washing.  

Another friend's comment reminded me that Touch is one of my love languages and
what better way to love on a water baby than warm soapy water and hymns?   

True balm for the Body, Soul, Heart, and Spirit.

Blessed be.

.          *          .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)