Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sister Aunties: Grace and Mercy



Grace has been my fond nickname for my Higher Power for a good long while now.  It started almost 5 years ago when I was facing an unexpected hysterectomy and all that that held for me, including a lot of grief.  One thing I was very clear about at the time was that I needed some freshness in my relationship with God.  With all that was coming, I knew I especially needed a Mother during that difficult time.  So Grace She became to be for me.

Last year was my first to choose a word to journey with me for an entire year.  In reading Stephen Levine's wise book, Unattended Sorrow (one I *highly* recommend), he speaks so tenderly about mercy.  I knew before I was even a third of the way thru his book that mercy was meant to be my first yearly word companion.  

As I walked thru the year, I wanted to have other book traveling companions available to me as well.  Since I was having trouble finding some, I borrowed from books on compassion, mercy's synonym.  Because I could find so many more resources on compassion, I even tried to change my word to compassion (really, I did!), but my heart and my body just wouldn't have it. Mercy it was and mercy it stayed all year long.

Smiling softly because it turns out that following my heart in my word journey was a turning point for me and mercy was exactly the right word for me for 2012.

Early in the year I went looking for a quote about mercy that could also be a traveling companion, supporting "us" (mercy and me) in our year together.  I planned to use it as a signature quote, knowing that I would see it daily and that, too, would help nourish my heart and soul.  When I found the quote below, I *knew* it was the one:

"Mercy and Grace are really sisters,
They're not identical twins
but they are very close sisters, nonetheless.
They are almost constantly found together
and if one is encountered by herself,
the other is not far away."
~ Philip Edwards

I still so *love* this quote and especially appreciate being gifted with the idea of thinking of Mama Grace and Auntie Mercy as sisters.

I've been thinking of starting a new blog for awhile and it seems quite appropriate to name it after two very special auntie sisters whose presence in my life has been such a blessing.

Feeling deeply grateful,

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, I might try it, I think that it can help me in my healing process.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you well in your healing process, Julia, and hoping (with you) that it might be just the nourishment you need.

    Thanks for stopping by (and for letting me know you did by commenting. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child, I thought God's wife was Mrs Mercy. (may good Mrs Mercy follow me all the days of my life) Turns out I was probably right!
    Love your names for your higher power

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rene, I *loved* hearing you thought Mrs. Mercy was God's wife!! And, yes, I think you were right.

    Thank you for the very warm smile that is still in place. . . . :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)