Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Affirmation ~ I Have Not Gone Away, Child


(holding my nephew 
the day after he was born)

About twenty years ago, I started memorizing passages that spoke deeply to me and that I loved.  Since I was using them as such, I took to calling them "affirmations."  My sense was that if I had them memorized, I could pull them out of my self-care toolbox anytime I might need them.

I couldn't have possibly imagined how very important and crucial this practice of mine has become.  Sometimes it can be hard to remember to start working with one, especially when I am in a really rough spot.  Still, I *know* from a lot of experience that, just like a loving mama patiently stays with her sweet crying child who can't hear her in the moment, I, too, as best I can, just need to stay with it.  Eventually the little one inside my heart does calm enough so that the healing wisdom has a chance to soak in, nourishing my aching heart with just the right medicine.  Once that happens, I know that it won't be long before things will start to ease and shift for me.

The very first "affirmation" or wise passage that I took the time to memorize remains my dearest and most favorite.  It comes from the reading for July 12, "Letting go of Fear of Abandonment," in Melody Beattie's wonderful and very wise book, The Language of Letting Go:

I have not gone away child.
I am here, *always,* 
Rest in me, in confidence.
All in your life is being guided
and planned,
each detail.
I know, and I care.
Things *are* being worked out 
as quickly as possible 
for your highest good.
Trust and be grateful.
I am right here.
Soon you will see,
and know.

(Emphasis mine)



6 comments:

  1. I wish I was able to memorise things like you can. Instead I have to keep everything in notepads (paper and digital!) or in my journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Zoe, I'm smiling because I hear ya! I don't always remember them, *especially *when it's been awhile since I've used one and really need to work with one. Soooo I took to creating "postcards" with the words in pretty fonts and clip art that brings a smile. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful practice, thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful practice. I think I will give it a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Cathy. Hoping it goes well for you, too! :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)