Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Blessing My Hands



This summer I was more than a little surprised to learn that not only did I have two love languages, but "touch" is one of them.  I'm grinning because when I asked my husband if it surprised him, he didn't hesitate in answering me with a resounding "no!"

(As I expected, my other love language is "words of affirmation".)

Smiling warmly because, now that I've thought about it, it makes perfect sense.  I *am* a toucher!!

Almost without thinking about it (and only when I know it's ok with the other person) it comes very naturally to me to lightly place my hand on someone's arm, caress the sweet softness of my niece-baby's precious face, or offer to share a nice, long hug.  It's not just people either as I will often reach out and touch an object simply because I like to feel the textures of things.

I made the collage above as way to bless and honor both my hands and my love language of touch.

The photo on the top left is of my hand resting on my darlin' hubby of 25 years (*gracious!,* I love that man!).

The top right is my hand tenderly holding a sweet birdie that sits here on the table next to me.

The bottom right nods to my love of writing and journaling, which is how I am best able to listen to my heart and affirm myself and others.  I have only in the last few months started to dabble in art journaling.

The bottom left shows a self-nurturing pose that I have been doing for a good many years now.  Whenever I am in need of a little additional support, I make a point to take some time to sit with my arm gently draped across my heart.  If it's an especially trying day and/or I'm feeling extra vulnerable, I will gently rock myself from side to side while cradling myself with my arm and hand.  Sometimes I softly hum to myself as well.

What's so lovely about this simple and very soothing practice of mine is that I feel very loved and supported when I do it.  An added bonus is that when I'm in a public place no one else has to know that I am taking very good care of me in that moment . . .

. . . unless I want to share it with them.

.

7 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Debbie. I love what you wrote here and the picture. So very touching

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, touching...meaningful and true

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Glenda, Lucy, Thea and Gin for stopping by and for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful practice of self nurturing.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, my pleasure. Alls I know is my cradling practice has sure been a blessing to me!

    Thank you for stopping by and for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)