Monday, September 9, 2013

Affirmation ~ What the Heart Wishes to Help . . .


While I don't have this one memorized, reading the words always soothes me.  Smiling softly because maybe that's how it's meant to be.  I need to read the words over and over, like a favorite bedtime story, to help remind and assure me (from "the outside") that not only do I not have to try to be everything to everybody, I'm not meant to be.  

More than that, I simply can't.

I am a wonderfully made human woman with needs, wants and desires, just like everyone else, not a machine who can keep crankin' it out.

And for this eldest sister who always felt like she always had to give and do for others, even to the point of not taking care of her own needs?  And still gets tripped up by it?

It is a tremendous gift . . . 

. . . and relief.

"But the cries of the suffering world
cannot all be answered by a single
person all the time.  We can truly only
choose to respond to those that allow
us to go home on a regular basis,
otherwise our heart-lights dim to 
almost nothing.  What the heart wishes
to help is sometimes different from 
what the soul's resources be.
If a woman values her soulskin, she will
decide these matters according
to how close she is to and how
often she has been 'home.'"

by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
page 282

.     *     .

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)