Sunday, September 29, 2013

Look for the Angels


"Look for the Angels" is a playful, made-up game, born in a Grace-inspired moment during a rough patch many years ago.  At the time I was looking for a gentle way to try to help shift things inside of me and it's proven to be so helpful that, when I remember, I still turn to it when I'm struggling.

The idea is to simply keep an eye out for things that are going well and start countin' 'em, Sista!  Smiling because, when beginning a new round of my game, I always remind myself that *anything* counts no matter how small. Grinning now because I have often counted a green light as evidence of an angel's presence in my life.

For me, my playful little game takes "count your blessings" one step further.  Actively looking for my angels gently encourages (and nudges) me to see (and remember) that my blessings are intentionally placed in my path by someone who is watching over me.  Given my eye for detail, it means a great deal to me to *see* that Mama Grace and Auntie Mercy lovingly care for and about me, even in the tiniest of details.

And sure enough, given enough time to allow myself to see how many "angels" are already right here, I start to feel better and more lighter.  It becomes easier to practice trustin' once again.

There's a wise phrase I heard somewhere that goes something like "you're already aware of everything that's going wrong so gently turn your attention to what's going right." (I wish I could place where that little gem came from but, alas, I was unable to google it.)

I love the story of Mister Rogers and how his mama would say to him "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." I didn't hear about this until a year or so ago during a recent tragedy.  I'm still *so* grateful to those knew his sweet story and shared it because it's come to mean a great deal to me.

Smiling softly because looking for my angels, counting my blessings, and Mister Rogers' looking for the helpers all simply feel like different facets of the same beauty-filled self-care nourishment.

If you cared to share, I'd love to hear in the comments how you take good care of you when in a rough patch.

.     *     .

P.S. - if you haven't seen Mister Rogers tell his story, he really does have such a soothing, tender voice. Hmmmm.... what a wonderful example and role-modeling of how I want to talk to myself.
Here's the link: http://www.fci.org/new-site/par-tragic-events.html

Graphic used with permission from DJ Inkers.

2 comments:

  1. I have a picture of a bridge for your collection if you want it let me know where to attach it to! ;) My nephew took it and said it was ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dawn! What a very kind offer, thank you. *Yes*! I'd love to add his bridge picture to my collection. You can send it to me at:

      debber.do1 @ gmail . com (minus the spaces).

      Thank you again! :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)