Monday, September 16, 2013

On the End Table ~ "How to Wake Up"







How to Wake Up: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow

Being an almost 36-year bone-cancer survivor who's crutches are permanent, I was immediately drawn to Toni's first book, How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers. As I suspected I might, I enjoyed it very much. I was delighted to discover she was working on this new book, How to Wake Up. I pre-ordered it as soon as I could.

While I didn't grow up with Buddhist principles, I am coming to appreciate that there is a lot of wisdom to be found and borrowed there, especially with the guidance of a gentle author like Toni. I find her voice to be wise, compassionate and accessible. From her personal examples sprinkled throughout both of her books, it feels to me like she is walking beside me as a fellow-traveler, all while openly and willingly sharing her experience, strength and hope.

Yes, this book is one to be savored and I am very much enjoying taking in her wisdom slowly, a chapter at a time. I am deeply grateful for her beautiful writing voice.

.      *     .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)