Friday, September 6, 2013

Sweet Moments

I'm feeling sad today.  When I look at the calendar, it isn't surprising really that some very old things have recently been tugging on me.  I've been riding the wave of mixed emotions as best I can.

Having breakfast this morning with a dear friend was soothing balm for my parched and weary soul.  I was so touched when she opened her heart to me and offered me all the time I needed to talk.  Feeling her concern for me and her love, all while knowing she was trusting and remembering the very best parts of me (for me) helped a great deal.  It also brought the welcomed release of a few tears.

Later, knowing that one of my co-workers is having knee surgery on Monday, I sent a little note of reassurance.  Remembering how anxious I would get before surgery I just wanted to extend a little kindness to him.  As I composed, I hoped my email wouldn't feel like "too much" for him.  

What encouraged me to follow thru is first, knowing how deeply grateful I have been when folks have taken a leap of faith with me, I tend to err on the side of doing rather than not.  I also remembered a couple weeks ago when I had offered to pray for him, how touched he was by that.  Plus I knew my intention was that I just wanted to send a little reminder that I didn't forget and include a warm smile.  So, along with wishing him well, I said I hoped there was a little bit of ice cream in his future.  :)  (Ice cream makes everything better, doesn't it?)

After sending my email I went on about my day.

I was surprised when he later came into my office, walked straight up to me and said, "stand up."  It only took a moment for me to realize that he was wanting to offer me a big hug of thanks.  Smiling because I was happy to receive and share.

After we finished and I had sat back down, I was surprised again when he broke up a little bit as he then tried to verbally express his thanks.  I simply, quietly put my hand on his arm, gently squeezed, nodded my head and said, "I know.  I know."

It is such a blessing to know that even when I am (still) feeling so vulnerable and not very shored up myself, that I can still trust Grace's gentle hand in my life to tenderly touch another.

Truly I am blessed.

And grateful.



.     *     .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)