Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dear Old Friends


We had a consultant in from out-of-town at work on Monday and Tuesday.  To take full advantage of her expertise, rather than my usual part-time hours, I worked full days both days.  So that I wouldn't get too tired, I was off yesterday - yay!  

I started my lovely, relaxed day by going to mass.  Smiling softly because it has always been a deep comfort to me to know that there are people who regularly attend daily mass.  It was such a blessing to get to be one of them yesterday and to be able to reconnect with the community of dear elder folks who I get to see whenever I go.  Not only do I enjoy the much more low-key feel to daily mass, it was a real pleasure to share warm greetings and fond hugs with several of the folks I have come to know and love over the years.  

On my way out, as is my habit, I made a point to stop and visit Mary.  She quietly and calmly stands in a beautiful garden, sheltered by three dogwood trees.  With it being a gorgeous, fall-feeling morning and having no where that I had to be, I sat on the small, white stone bench in front of her.  I so enjoyed spending a few moments with her before going on with my day.

Smiling softly because she, too, has been a great comfort for me over the years, especially in quiet moments like this one.  It's always been soothing and reassuring for me to remember that when my own mother couldn't mother me well, our spiritual mother, Mary could, does, and wants to.  She has been a dear friend for a long, long time.

Truly, I am blessed.

.     *     . 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and for letting me know you were here . . . :)